Monday, February 07, 2005

Network Marketing

I have a love/hate relationship with Network (or Direct) Marketing. Like most other people, I have been exposed to network marketing for many years. I have many memories of my mom and dad being solicited by Friends representing many different direct marketing companies. Then I had two experiences which started to change my mind about the business.

In about 1999, I was mailing a package for eBay at Mail Boxes Etc. (not The UPS Store). I was visiting my parents and my mom with running errands with me. She ran into someone that she knew who was checking his mailbox at the store. She asked if he was still with his company. He said that he was now in business for himself making twice as much as his old job. He seemed sincere about his new found success. The business was a network marketing business selling health/diet/energy products. He gave us some samples and a brochure. The marketing in the brochure seems appealing. I especially liked the way that the company promoted its success in helping its dealers get out of debt.

A couple of years later, I was enjoying reading the Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad books. I was surprised to find that he not only endorsed network marketing businesses, but he recommended them for people looking to enter the business market. He recommends direct marketing businesses because they usually require very little start-up costs, and because they come with a framework of tools to get you started in business. I think that is a good thing. I will write more about my own experiences with a network marketing company. I am not with any company at this time, but I am will definitely consider being a part of a network marketing organization again if they opportunity seems right.

No comments: